Sunday, March 8, 2009

Everything but the kitchen sink...

...is what we used to weigh down the cockpit floor when Traci and glued it in on Saturday.

To fit the cockpit panels, I transferred a few measurements from center line to the plywood and got to cutting. To span the entire cockpit (~8'8" in length) I placed a seam directly over frame 124. Frame 124 had my 1x1 diagonally ripped pieces already epoxied on so there was plenty of surface area to receive the floor panels (click on the image below for more detail).
This morning, I cut and fit the cockpit sides. The cockpit sides, when layed flat, have a very slight overall curve to them, so a straight ripped piece of plywood won't work (ask me how I know!). No worries, that 12"-wide and 8 foot-long piece was used for another component---more on that later. While cutting and fitting the cockpit sides, I thought it would be useful to have a couple of "cubby-holes" in the cockpit sides to store water bottles, spin sheets while going upwind, etc. So I cut elongated holes for those as well.
This afternoon, Traci assisted me in getting the sides filleted and taped. I should say that we started working together, but at 2:00 I had to get on a conference call with some other builders to discuss rig dimensions, and Traci went solo.
She did impeccable work!! Although next time she will be wearing a baseball cap so I don't have to spend a half-hour with nail polisher remover getting epoxy out of her hair! :)
So far, so good! Everything looks the way I think it ought to.

4 comments:

Kevin McDaniel said...

Way to go Traci. You do great work. I usually have to get the epoxy out of my hair by myself. Good thing Jeff helped you out.

Looks great!!!

Jeff Dalsin said...

In the interest of full disclosure, we do spend a fair amount of time pulling slivers out of my hands, too!

Jeff

Unknown said...

Im curious about the aft overlap in the cabin top over the bulkhead panel. I have been dry fitting mine and it appears to want to overlap, but I keep going back and forth on whether to put it there or not. I see you decided to. Why?

Anonymous said...

boat is looking really really good! looks nice and light. can't wait to see it finished!!

Tokyo