Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Don't get lippy!

Actually, I think I will! One of the blog readers asked about the "lip" on the cabin top that extends past the aft end of the cabin.



I figured I would post the explanation for all. I got the idea from Kevin (builder of Pipedream) and from the Open 5.70 and 6.50. Those boats have a similar lip extending from the back of the cabin top. The Open boats also have several control lines come from below deck and, presumably, the lip serves to reduce water intrusion through the holes where those lines come out.



At this point, I plan to have at least the spin pole deploy line come from below deck. But there is the potential to have any of the halyards or the tack line for the spinnaker run below the deck.

That's it!

Jeff

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I see how you are. I get a "a reader" reference and KMAC gets a personal shout out.

:)

Thanks for the info. it makes perfect sense and I am going to copy it.

Anonymous said...

Jeff,
Looks awesome! I just posted some pics of my progress on my blog. We're just about neck and neck for build progress.
Keep up the amazing work.
-Chris

Kevin McDaniel said...

With the lip you also can mount the cleats upside down so that when you release the line it doesn't re-cleat.

I'm doing the pole deploy line for sure (which if I do it right will suck in the tack line too). Spin halyard will probably also be there, need to figure out how/where to bring the halyard through the cabin roof.

Looks great Jeff. I hope you are planning to bring your boat to the Chicago Demo Day in June. My boat my not be splashed by then.

Kevin.