Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Nice Arse...

Still waiting on biaxial tape from West... But I happened to buy 10ft of unidirectional tape at West last week, so I figured I would practice my filleting and taping technique on the transom where the ability of biaxial tape to conform to complex curves is not as critical.

In short, I think it turned out pretty well. Decide for yourself...

I mixed epoxy with colloidal silica to the consistency of thin peanut butter and made the fillet. I also wet out a ~2" margin on either side of the fillet with unthickened epoxy. Then, while the fillet was still wet, I wet-out a strip of glass tape and layed it over the top of the fillet gently working the tape into contact from the center outward. This technique seemed to work well and no bubbles were observed under the tape. Should be solid.

3 comments:

Kevin McDaniel said...

Jeff, Looks good to me. The one trick I found to taping right after filleting is to make sure the parts are not able to move. If they move, the fillet will change shape and the tape will get a bubble.

You can also cut fabric on the bias to make your own bi-axle tape if you have some cloth. I've done that with some good success when I ran out of tape.

Lastly, I always make sure my tape is really wet (like dripping wet) and it sucks down much better. Thin or dry spots will lead to bubbles.

Keep up the good work !!!

Anonymous said...

Jeff, it's looking good. Wet fillets is the way to go IMHO. I wet the area first then put in the fillet by putting the epoxy mix in a plastic bag with the corner cut. I layed my cloth on the fillet dry then wetted out the cloth, you won't have to add much epoxy to get it wetted out. Over wet glass is bad, the less resin you use to wet the cloth the stronger the seam. Also when your stitching the frames in don't make the mistake I did and over tighten the pull ties. Which can create an unfair hull skin. There's no need for the frames to fit tight to the inside of hull. The fillets will fill the gaps. In my epoxy fillet mix I used wood flour with my cabosel, the wood flour is a lot cheaper. Hope this might help.

Dennis

Anonymous said...

Jeff,
Boat looks really good. Your fillets look great. Before you go any further with purchases, I might offer to get you what you need from West Marine, with an added 20% discount. This can alleviate cost in a lot of areas. Let me know if there is anything you need and I can have it shipped to you free of charge.

shoot me an e-mail if you are interested.
-Christopher
hull #36
i550paninaro.blogspot.com