Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Sheer genius?

Unfortunately, I am stuck waiting for my local West Marine to get the biaxial I need to fillet and tape the chines, etc. So in the mean time I've been working on the materials for the sheer clamp (for the uninitiated, the part that joins the hull to the deck). In short, I took a piece of 1x2 poplar and cut it on a diagonal from corner-to-corner. I took this approach so I can get a nice soft curve at the hull-deck joint. To cut the 1x2 on a diagonal on the table saw, I created a simple jig to get a straight edge close enough the blade.



To scarf the pieces of the sheer clamp together, I created another simple jig to allow me to cut a 80 degree bevel on the pieces since my table saw could not do better than 45 degrees.



I epoxied the pieces together, so we'll find out tomorrow how well this worked...

I also fixed a little problem with the forward butt joint in the side panels. When I butted the panel pieces together, I kept the backer piece short from the sheer and the chine so that filleting and taping would be easier. However, I discovered that with the twist that is put on panel during stitching the hull together the forward butt joint was tearing apart. To remedy this I unstitched the front ~3' of the hull and placed a layer of glass tape over the portion of the point that had no backing. Seems to have worked quite well and after re-stitching it seems vey solid. I would recommend doing this from the get-go.

No comments: