Sunday, October 19, 2008

Every little bit helps

This weekend I got the centerline seam filletted and taped. I also stitched in a few more frames, and now the only frame missing is f110. I may wait to get that stitched in until I have the keel fabricated so that I can be certain that the frame is in the correct position. Or I may not...


I also fab'ed up an I-beam for between the transom and frame 169.5, ala what Kevin did on pipeDream.

One issue I have encountered is that with the zip ties drawn tight on frame 53.5 a "hollow" is created in the hull side panel. Doesn't seem right. I will have to ping the other builders to see if they have encounted this and what they did about it. I suppose I could leave the frame a little "loose" (i.e., have the frame away from the hull panel a bit midway up the hull). After all, the thickened epoxy will fill any space between the frame and support any compressive loads.

3 comments:

Dennis said...

Those hollows in the hull panels is what I was talking about earlier. I made the mistake of leaving the pull ties tight. I'll be intersted to see how you address it, my only choice now is a lot of fairing.

Dennis

Kevin McDaniel said...

Ok, I had to go check pipeDream. I do have a slight hollow at frame 53.5. At mid-panel it's maybe 1/8" of an inch. The chine and the gunwale are fair. Leaving those ties a little loose at mid-panel would probably be a good way to solve that problem. I guess I'll be fairing with the micro balloons at good old frame 53.5. Of course that will be next spring.

Kevin.

Anonymous said...

yep we got exactly the same thing when we built TTB, we had to do alot of fairing as we didnt notice it. in hindsight, letting the ties of to let the hull panel fair out would of been the go, and fill the gap on the inside when filleting.