Monday, February 16, 2009

Total bunk!

Nah, it's actually true. The bunks are in place. And the keel box is extended up to the deck level.

Late last week, I glassed in the keelbox extension. In accordance with Andrew's (TTB) advice I put in some "big-ass fillets" to ensure the keel box was good and solid.

Over the weekend, Traci and I got the bunks glassed and taped in. The diagonal-ripped 1X1s that I epoxied to the bunk sides served to support the bunk tops. This worked nicely, but I plan to round over the edge of the bunk and tape it with a 2" strip of 6oz cloth to give the joint a bit of tensile strength.





I also got up the courage to whip out the circular saw and widen the forward end of the cockpit. The "stock" version of the long cockpit is just a little narrow at the forward end, and I really like what Kevin did with his boat. The wider cockpit will allow for a bit more room in the pit during mark roundings, etc. The result of the widened cockpit is a little less clearance (~12") to the aft bunks, but those will primarily be used for sail storage, so it's a good trade off I think.

No comments: