Sunday, February 22, 2009

Chain Gang

Since my last post I got the bunk tops coated with epoxy and filled and taped a small gap between the forward and aft bunks under frame 124. Actually, Traci filled the gap and taped the joint while I was traveling earlier this week. Her first unsupervised job on the boat! And the results were tip-top!

Over the weekend, I got the chainplate gussets installed. I started out by beveling the outboard end the gusset to ~26 degrees to match the angle from the outboard end of frame 110 to the base of the mast. I then "hung" the gusset and scribed the curve of the hull onto the gusset and used a scroll saw to cut out the curve.

Using the "hanging" approach shown below I tacked the gusset in place with thickened epoxy making sure that the gusset was pointed at the location of the mast base.



Once cured, I taped the gusset in place.


No comments: