Monday, August 31, 2009

Mean Machine

Since the last post, my sailmaker (Ryan Malmgren; MadSails) came over to take measurements. He and a colleague on the East Coast are currently building the sails. Should be ready in a week or so.

I've put a couple coats of clear urethane on the stick and have one more to go. I decided to try out an automotive clear coat due to price (~$40/qt.) and availability (local auto parts store). It is supposedly professional grade stuff used in body shops.

I also got all of the holes for deck hardware drilled, filled with thickened epoxy and redrilled. That was the last step before getting a coat of finish paint on the cabin top gunwales and cockpit sides.



Looks pretty bad-ass, if I do say so myself! One more coat tonight and she might be ready for the non-skid paint.

Then on to the things I have been putting off, like melting lead for the keel bulb. :)

Jeff

2 comments:

Unknown said...

She kinda has this alien/predatory insect look with the bright finished doghouse sides looking black in this picture, like eyes. Looks mean and fast, I like! If I ever get my act together and build one of these things, I hope you don't mind if I steal the idea! I love the contrast of bright finished wood and clearcoat carbon. Drool!

Jeff Dalsin said...

Copy away, Micum. Just take the plunge and start building! :)

Best,
Jeff